Thursday 5 August 2021

'On Saying ’Please’ Activity Sheet

                                                     On Saying ’Please’

ACTIVITY-01

Read the extract and complete the activities given below:            (12)

 (Extract- "The young lift-man-------------------intellectual damages in these matters." ) 

A1. Read the following statements and pick out the statement which expresses the intention of the writer.                                                          (2)

i.         There is an importance of good manners and civility.

ii.       The wound on one’s self-respect is more painful than physical wound.

iii.      One needs to be courteous with a liftman.

iv.      Strict laws can civilize people.

 

     ANS:    i.    There is an importance of good manners and civility.

 

A2. Pick out some examples of behaviour from the extract that are not punishable under law. (Any four)                                                         (2)

 

ANS:  Some examples of behaviour that are not punishable under law:

1.   bad manners/ discourtesy

2.   rude behaviour

3.   scowl on faces

4.   rude tone of voices

  

A3. “The passenger damaged the liftman’s self-respect”. Support your answer with some facts from the extract.                                                       (2)

    ANS: The lift man wanted, the passenger entering into lift must say ‘Top-please’  but the passenger only said ‘Top’. So, he did not only decline to comply with his instruction but he hurled the passenger out of the lift as he damaged the liftman’s self-respect.

 

A4. What if- ‘Discourtesy is a legal offense?’ Write your response in about 30 words. (2)

 

  ANS: Write your own opinion.

 

  

A5. Do as directed.

1) If I am physically assaulted, it will permit me to retaliate.

(Choose correct alternative to use ‘unless’)

i. Unless I am physically assaulted, it will permit me to retaliate.

ii. Unless I am physically assaulted, it would not permit me to retaliate.

iii. Unless I am physically assaulted, it will not permit me to retaliate.

iv.   Unless I am not physically assaulted, it will not permit me to retaliate.

 

ANS:  Unless I am physically assaulted, it will not permit me to retaliate.

 

    2) The law will protect me against violent retaliation.

(Choose the correct alternative to use a modal auxiliary showing ‘obligation’)

i. The law can protect me against violent retaliation.

ii. The law could protect me against violent retaliation.

iii. The law may protect me against violent retaliation.

iv. The law must protect me against violent retaliation.

        ANS: iv. The law must protect me against violent retaliation.

 

A6. Find out the words from the passage which mean the following:                         (2)

i.             Lack of courtesy      -  Discourtesy

ii.           Fight with the fists  -  to box

iii.   Uncultured              -  boorish

iv.   An attacker             -  assailant

1 comment:

History of Novel MCQ Test-05

  Unit 4.1 History of Novel - MCQs Maharashtra State Board, English Yuvakbharati Class-12  History of Novel MCQs -Class 12 The History of No...